Friday, 5 November 2010

Bonfire Night

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
Gunpowder treason and plot.
We see no reason
Why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

It's Bonfire night on Friday, when we remember Guy Fawkes, Britain's most notorious 'traitor' who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament back in 1605.  You can read more about it here.

 


We still enjoy going to a bonfire and watching fireworks.  These days it's usually a good evening round an organised bonfire and fireworks display, a cold night, warming yourself by the fire, eating hotdogs and jacket potatoes.

Growing up we usually had our own bonfire party and invited friends and family, had games which included apple bobbing (too cold) and also a strange game of hanging 'hot cross buns' (or the like) from strings across the swing set and you had to see who could eat theirs first without using their hands.

My memories include burning my finger on a sparkler - I picked it back up (I was only 5), trying to write my name with a sparkler, eating foil-wrapped jacket potatoes, and feeling my cheeks burning whilst the rest of me still felt cold. Lovely!

If you're in the UK I hope you enjoy a safe and fun Bonfire night.  Weather permitting we'll be on the beach for the site bonfire party - hopefully taking lots of photos to post. If you're not in the UK I hope you have a fantastic weekend whatever you do. x

2 comments:

  1. i LOVE bonfires! i haven't been to one is some time though! have fun tonight and take pictures <3

    have a wonderful weekend sweetie!!

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks hon, lovely weekend, hope you did too. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, it means alot x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.