Thursday, 25 November 2010

Vintage photos - part 4

In the same vein as the last lot of vintage photos, these ones are my Poppa (grandfather) in the late 1940's early 1950's.  He always worked on farms and these offer a glimpse of the old-fashioned way of farming that survived for so many decades before machinery finally took over...

...having a lunch break - you don't see hay bales like this anymore

Cecil is on the left at the front
Cecil & a heiffer

Rolling after harrowing - I remember as a small child going to ploughing competitions that Poppa was in


I love these photos for that glimpse into the past, especially the first one - it looks like such a lovely sunny day with them resting during a hard day labouring in the fields. Although the sad thing is seeing him with a cigarette in two of the photos as he died of lung cancer in his early 70's, if only they knew back then. x

2 comments:

  1. These photos are so fun! I love going through old photos. I have some from my grandfather that he took in Italy during WWII. I also just recently came across a photo of my great aunt at Florida State University, which is where I went to school! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are great pictures! i love the one of your grandfather with the the cow, he looks so darn cute with those boots and high waisted trousers!

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, it means alot x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.