Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Eurovision weekend

Tomorrow we're off to a friend's surprise birthday party which should be fun as I've got the opportunity to catch up with some girlfriends I haven't seen for ages!

Saturday is Eurovision - always a fun night.  I think since Hubby and I first started living together way back in 1996 we've pretty much had a Eurovision Party every year (except twice I believe).  Just us and a few friends, it often turns out to be on the same day as the FA Cup Final, which means we start in the afternoon with a BBQ (weather permitting), then move inside for Eurovision in the evening.


For those of you who've never heard of Eurovision, it's basically a singing contest between many European countries, and each of those countries (& a few others) get to vote for the winner, it's been running since 1956. 

The singers/bands are usually hilarious to watch - with some interesting outfits, bizarre lyrics (esp cool when they sing in their own language & you put subtitles on, ha ha) & some great UK commentary from Graham Norton (though I still think Terry Wogan was the best - no one can quite do a put-down like Terry). 

Though don't get me started on the voting.... it's all VERY political.  Which of course means that we all start yelling (goodnaturedly) at the telly as the votes come in, ha ha.  England last won in 1997 & I can't see us winning it this year (sorry Blue), who knows, maybe Jedward will knowing Eurovision (eek) :D

It's always a really fun night, full of laughter & a fair bit of drinking. 
In the spirit of Eurovision I actually found an old Bucks Fizz LP last weekend...


...and was compelled to buy it, as when I was a little girl in 1981 I LOVED Bucks Fizz (trust me, 'Land of Make Believe' rocked!).  Bucks Fizz won Eurovision in 1981 with 'Making Your Mind Up' - which is mostly remembered for when the boys whip off the girls skirts part way through the song, ha ha.

Whatever you do this weekend, hope you have as much fun as hopefully we will. x

1 comment:

  1. oh man you are gonna have so much fun! a singing contest and you get to witness it live!

    can't wait to hear all about it!

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, it means alot x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.